Sunday, November 28, 2010

Paper Pinecone Ornaments for your tree



My friend showed me how to make these last year and I just love them.  They are nice and lightweight and have that great paper feel (paper lovers will know what I mean).  I had two on my tree last year, but this year I thought I would make a few more so I could just put them out in a bowl.  They also make a lovely gift!  Here's how you make them....
Supplies: Styrofoam eggs (the bigger kind work best, like 3 inch)
              One sheet of 12x12 paper or even better, some wrapping paper
              a LOT of pins (you can buy a big container at the dollar store, does several)
              ribbon

Start by cutting your paper into 1 x 2 inch strips and then folding over two corners to make a point.  Make a big pile of these.

Next put 4 of your folded papers on, with points to the point of the egg, pin as close to the end of the point as you can.
Now start layering, pining each piece at the back two corners. 


If you are going to hang this, then stop about 3/4 of the way up and pin in a loop of ribbon, put pins at the base of ribbon and more at the top of egg to and keep it in place.

 Pin more papers until you get to the top of egg.  On the smaller (2 1/2 inch) eggs I had to modify the papers a bit at the very top (use 1x1s instead  of 1 x 2's or just fold over overlapping)

Add a bow at the top, you can just pin it in place, and your done! 

2 comments:

Tina M said...

These are really clever! They definately would be a pretty addition to a tree or bowl decoration :)
tfs

Crystal said...

I love these paper pine cones. Maybe someday I'll get around to making one.