Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Cutting little words with a wonderful new toy

I have some projects I want to do that will require some smaller words cut.  I have not had the best luck with doing small words with my  cricut.  To solve this, and to avoid the whole scal/cricut thing, I got a silhouette sd.  I still love my cricut and will continue to use it with carts, but for little words and fine detail/svgs I'll use the Silhouette.  It came yesterday and I just tried it out....oh my!  I can't believe the difference in the cut of words.  Right out of the package there was no tearing of paper, no skipped spots, no lop-sided scallops.  I haven't done the projects yet, but I had to post this one little word I cut with my silhouette at 1 inch (font is standard cursive, welded, 1 inch for both).  I tried cutting the same with my cricut, but with the same paper, I just got a mess.  I tried it a second time with paper that I can trust to always cut best on a cricut (you know the kind), and just look at the difference!  I still couldn't even get the cricut one off the mat, but you can see from the lines how uneven the letter width is.   I can't wait to use it for some vinyl.   FYI, my understanding is that you only have until the end of the month to get the free upgrade to scal 3.  It loads as a separate file, so you can have scal 2 and scal 3 on your computer.  I'm still waiting for them to send me my new code for scal 3, but I hear good things about it so I'm eager to test it out.  Its surely got to be easier than this Silhouette software.

1 comment:

Soraya said...

oh dear! I'm so envious!! and happy for you too...