Saturday, September 22, 2012

Fall burlap and felt coasters

I had this idea that burlap curtains in the craft area would be cute...it wasn't.  So now I have a couple yards of burlap I need to use for something else.  First use: coasters!


To make them you need:
8- 5x5 inch pieces of burlap
4- 4x4 inch pieces of felt
4- felt cuts for top (sizzix dies cut felt GREAT! I used Tim Holtz tattered leaves die)
glue

sewing machine or embroidery thread/needle

NOTE: I do not know how to sew, so take this with a grain of salt.

Attach you cut felt to one burlap square- I used Aleenes glue to the edges of the cuts, NOT the center where I was going to sew ( I tried a couple other adhesives/hot glue but they didn't work as well, fabric glue would probably be good but mine had dried out)

Sew or embroider some stitches on the felt to secure it to the burlap

Layer burlap with felt on top of felt and another burlap square.  Zig zag or embroider around the edge of the felt square.

Pull the UN-stitched (is that a word?) burlap threads to fray the edges.

DONE!

Hummm, what do I do with the rest of the burlap now...maybe a Halloween banner or table runner or?

2 comments:

Maureen said...

Really cute - what a great idea! I'm interested to see what else you'll make with your burlap!

Anonymous said...

Oh these are so cute!!!!!!!!!!