Sunday, September 16, 2012

My first rag quilt done!

Close up of all my girly prints

Finished size is 70 x70
Yeah, it's done!  I've done a couple of baby quilts, mini quilts/runners etc. but wanted to try a grown up quilt.  It had to be fairly easy/forgiving, since I don't really know how to sew yet.  This one was done with 6 inch squares, 12 squares by 12 squares, with 1/2 inch seams, so a finished size of 70x70.  Perfect for snuggling under  as the weather cools.  I had a couple of fleece throws that someone had given me when my boys were born, they were just plain white, but they had such a nice heavy feel when you were under them.  They got cut up to use as a backing, and since they were so heavy, there was no need for a middle layer.   The rag quilts, if you are not familiar with them, are attached to the backing first, then the squares are sewn together with the seams up.  Next you snip the up parts along each side of the square (thanks to my mom who did a lot of  snipping while I made dinner).  As you wash them, they fray and fluff around each square.  I haven't washed this one yet.  The bad part of reusing the fleece blankets is that they don't really fray, but I still think it looks and feels great and will just get better with age -and it gave me the chance to recycle those blankets, saving on the project cost.   I used cotton for the top so that should curl at the edges just as it supposed to (I used 1 yard each of 6 patterns).   My son is asking for a quilt now and keeps taking this one to "test" on his bed.  I'm going to do one for him next but not the rag style....and probably not with the butterfly and flowers.

3 comments:

Nedine, Craft Lounge Creations said...

You rocked your quilt! This is awesome. Can't believe it's your first time. It looks nice and comfy!!

DHalsema said...

Your quilt looks wonderful!! :) I love it! :) Thanks for sharing! :)

DHalsema said...

Your quilt looks wonderful!! :) I love it! :) Thanks for sharing! :)