Saturday, January 5, 2013

Fimo Clay flower hair clips and earrings









I bought some little resin hair clips at a craft fair recently with the intentions of coming home and trying to make some of my own at a fraction of the price.  However, once I got to looking at all the pretty forms and dyes, I decided I better not open that can of worms right now.   Instead I used some fimo clay and some dies from Martha Stuart that can be purchased very cheep ($6 for a set of 4 with a coupon) at your local J's-both of which I already had.  The completed resin flowers and filigree clips like the one I purchased can be found on etsy, then you just glue them together, still cheaper than the craft fair, but not as cheep as the clay.   My friend and I used about 25 cents worth of fimo clay to make 14 flowers - which we turned into 5 sets of clips and 2 pairs of earrings.  The molds (click here to see mold) are intended to make elements for cards, but the flowers are too bulky for cards for me, the fern and butterflies that come in the set are nice and flat/light though.

Press softened clay into mold until the back is level/flat. I used a craft knife of some of them to make them perfect for the earrings, but then you don't see the back for the hair clips, so why bother?

Pop out of die and bake according to package directions (we did 30 min. at 275)
If you are going to use them for beading, you can poke a head pin though them prior to baking.  We just left the wire in for baking.

Glue to clips - clipping them to the edge of something makes it easier, we just used super glue



Then, of course, make a cute package to give the away in!  I used a shaker box sizzix die I just got, it is AWESOME and perfect size for this kind of gift (and little candies too!)


I also have some cards from last week to share since I was too lazy to post anything.....




Thanks for looking!





1 comment:

Doxie C said...

Hello! I just came across your wonderful blog today! LOVE your posts and all you make! I will definitely coming back and reading more :)
I have a question about the "clips" you put the flowers on....where do you get them? Do you bake the stuff you used...or does it air dry? I really love the earrings you made too.
I'm going to leave another comment with my email address....will you please delete that comment after you use my address to answer my questions? I would greatly appreciate it if you would.
Have a great day!
~Donna