Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Pumpkin Carving paper lanterns with DS cut file

You can't help but look at the images from pumpkin carvings and see paper lantern possibilities.  The square images are perfect for simply welding together.  But of course, I wanted to make some out of the circle images which is a bit more work- but not much.  Here's the step by step: 

Download and cut the lantern base with DS and Plantain Schoolbook (see link below), I cut mine out of a Debbie Mumm 12x12 patterned paper
Score at 5 and 10 inches
Attach squares of vellum (about 4.25 by 4.25) to back side
Attach tabs of piece one to opposite side of piece two.

Cut your choice of circle images from Pumpkin carvings at 4 inches and glue over vellum.
Insert FAKE candle

Now what if you don't want to weld the square images together?  Well, your in luck, I've included a square lantern base on the same file (page 2).  Follow the exact same instructions but use square images from the pumpkin carving cartridge (still cutting at 4 inch).

FYI: Costco now has the pack of fake candles, 30 candles plus 30 extra batteries for $20, great buy!
With all these, I'm sure my kids will want to make lots.  And whats great is that I can make the bases for them to finish and they can choose 4 different images for each one (there so many cute ones, who could pick just one?).  Of course if you don't have pumpkin carvings, any shape welded into a 4 inch circle or square frame will do!  Thanks for looking and for taking the time to comment!

6 comments:

Precious Memories Scrapbooking & More said...

this is an awesome project, I love decorating for Halloween, I may have to try this out if I ever get time.... I wonder if Sam's club has those candle thingies, if not I think my godmother has a membership to Costco... that is a great buy!!!

DLSarmywife said...

What a great idea!!!! I never even thought to look at pumpkin carving images! I just finished a polymer clay luminary and pumpkin carving images would work awesome for those too!
I DO hope Sam's club get's a similar fake candle pack as we have no Costco. :-(

Mr. Pumpkin Stencil said...

This is an interesting project that is much different than my usual Halloween pumpkin decorations. I must try this.

CBH said...

Thank you so much for this post. I want to let you know that I posted a link to your blog in Creative Busy Hands Cricut Freebies Search List, under the Elements post on Sep. 24, 2010. Thanks again.

Debbie H said...

Such a cute project, and so nice of you to post your files, thanks!

Deb

Precious Memories Scrapbooking & More said...

OK I will play, I will try to get mine done before Sunday, if not I will have it done by next weekend.