Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Our first Cricut cake and some more shopping bags to share

The cricut cake was recently on sale for $59.95 and free ship - too good a deal to pass up for this cake loving family.  The boys and I made out first one for Christmas.  We made marshmallow fondant (we found the recipe on the internet, it was pretty easy to make).  We cut the shapes from Christmas Cheer.  The boys went a little crazy on the sprinkles.  Yeah, we need a bit of practice, but the cake was still yummy. 

My big holiday projects were personalized 100% cotton shopping bags.  I bought a bunch of blank ones from a friend (she works at a print screening place).  They are nice quality bags  and a good size for groceries or whatever.  I used contact paper to make stencils then used acrylic paint (2 parts acrylic paint, one part fabric treatment which is sold in the acrylic paint section).  I was not super happy with the way the acrylic paint, I definitely like the iron on vinyl better, but the cost difference is BIG.  If I would have done vinyl, the bags would have just been too pricey.  
For a friend using lacy labels and wall decor
For Grandma using lacy labels and some purchased flowers attached with fabric glue

More traditional grocery bags:



 I still have some left so I'm going to try doing them with cut fabric and see if that works better - I'll let you know.

Made by Andy for his grandma

2 comments:

A Fresh Look said...

would love to know where you found SUCH a good deal on a cricut cake! Thanks.

paperscissorsink said...

The cricut cake was on sale at Creativexpress, they had the mini for 29.95 and the big one for 49.95, free ship. Not sure if the deal is still going. Hope that helps!