Saturday, December 1, 2007

Blocks, Blocks, and MORE Blocks!


Burr, there is a bit of a blizzard outside today. Great day for crafting! Last night we put up the Christmas tree and decorations. What better to have out in a house with little ones, then some of my Christmas blocks. I've made several sets so far, my favorite set is JOY made with Stampin' Up! designer paper and stamps, so those are the ones I'm going to give instructions on. Start with some blocks, if you are handy with a saw (or know somebody that is) you can purchase 2 x 2 Pine at Lowes very cheep. 2 x 2 really translates to each side is 1 1/2 inches, so you will want to cut the stick every 1 1/2 inches to make the squares. They are sold in 8 foot lengths, so one board will make a lot of blocks. If you don't have access to a saw, there are some wood craft supply places on the web that sell them but it will cost about 10 times as much as if you cut them yourself. The great thing about the 1 1/2 inch sides is that it is perfect for using Stampin' Up! punches. I used both the 1 3/8 inch and the 1 1/4 inch square punches for layering. You can also use a paper cutter but I found the punch to be a lot easier and made for less operator error (my paper cutter and I don't have a good relationship).

1: Stamp letters in desired colors on a light paper (old olive and real red stamped on Very Vanilla used here)

2: Cut or punch out using 1 1/4 inch square punch

3: Cut or punch coordinating solid cardstock for layering using 1 3/8 inch square punch

4: Cut or punch coordinating patterned paper for remaining sides of blocks (5 on each block, Dashing from SU! used here)

5: Glue using your choice of adhesive. I have used Mono Adhesive, which works well, but my favorite for this project is Scotch scrapbookers glue.

6: Optional: decorate additional blocks for either side using 1 3/8 inch punch and ribbons, fibers, or whatever you so desire.

7: Set out, and enjoy!
I can't wait to make some for Spring!

No comments: