Saturday, August 21, 2010

Altered notebooks


I picked up a bunch of those composition notebooks a couple weeks ago at Target and started altering them for the neighbor kids for back to school.  I was down to my last two and decided I better make one for myself, so I made one for my house ideas (my hubby and I are thinking of building).  For mine I used Lacy Lables (Home, cut at 4 inch) and I just wrote in OUR in pen for a personal touch.   The key is just an uncut I bought from the hardware store, hopefully by next year it will have a door.   My other one I made for my niece.  I'm going to save it to go with her birthday gift for next month and I used Cindy Loo cut at 3.5 inch.  There are lots of great frames on that one, you could do one with each subject.  I love these because you can really make them for under $1, and make them in under 10 minutes.  You don't even need a cricut for these, leftovers from those part used scrap kits (you know you them) will work great!  Thanks for looking!
The step by step: 
 Pick two pieces of pattern paper, cut front piece to 9 3/4 by 7 in, and andhear to front (I use an atg gun right at the edge, but modgepodge or SU glue stick also work well).
Cut back paper to 9 3/4 by 10.  Use paper edge punch now if desired., adhear back piece (start at the back edge and wrap around the front since the back edges are hardest to line up).
Tie ribbon around book cover and add embellishments.
Use a file or sanding block to round corners and distress/smooth edges.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness I LOVE these!! I'd love to take these to my college classes :)

I'd love to have you link up in Scraptastic Saturday!!

Hannah
http://youngancrafty.blogspot.com/2010/08/scaptastic-saturday.html

Precious Memories Scrapbooking & More said...

Loving the books! I will have to wait a while longer to do this for my daughter... I don't think they use comp books in Kindergarten LOL

Bee's hive said...

Sorry if this is a el stupida questions, but did you use fabric or paper. It's so hard to tell the papers are so depthful(unlike myself),

paperscissorsink said...

They are just paper, in fact thin paper is best, like the DCWV stacks paper, not cardstock. I bet fabric would work too though, great idea :)

Nina @ Momma Go Round said...

So cute! I'm doing some right now for myself, but they are not nearly as cute!

Thanks for the good ideas!

knitmachinequeen (KMQ) said...

I just bought eight of these to make as Christmas gifts but I haven't a clue where to start! Can you tell me how you did it? TIA

Jennifer said...

Hi,

I have a stack of these waiting to be altered! I love the way yours came out...you did a great job!!! :)

What kind of adhesive did you use (tape? glue? what brand & type?) to adhere the paper to the notebook?

Thanks so much,

Jennifer