Saturday, September 26, 2009

3D Tissue Box House for your Cricut DS



One of the main reasons I got Woodland was to make tissue houses (the other was to make spooky Halloween houses, that is yet to come). WELL, turns out none of the houses in Woodland work for tissue houses, the dimensions are not quite right, the chimneys are too small, and the way they laid them out, you have to use huge sheets of paper. So I had to make one using Plantin Schoolbook and DS. I made the file so that you make front/side on one 81/2 by 11 and back/side on another sheet. No need for big paper. This is for a purchased tissue box (I bought walmart brand and made it to fit). I did make the door from Woodland, just to justify my buying the cartridge, but you could just use a rectangle for the door if you didn't have that cart. Also if you have SCAL and trial version of DS/Plantin Schoolbook, you should still be able to cut the basic house with the plain door. The windows on the file come with the background and the frames, so you can decorate inside the house (notice my shades, curtains and even a little pumpkin!). I ran the roof parts through the cuttlebug (argyle folder) for texture. When assembling, use GOOD adhesive - I use the red stick strip kind, otherwise, when you tug to take a tissue, your roof will come off. I made the little leaves on the wreath with doodlecharms at 1/2 inch. I have some photos below to aid in assembly. My kids want one now that looks like a castle...hum. Thanks for looking, and for your feedback!
Cut your pieces with this file:
Score roof at 1.5, 3, 4.5 and 6 inches
Attach tabs - do the three I have marked first, then bend the roof to the correct angle before securing the last tab (view from under the roof) Assemble house around box and secure roof to tabs with GOOD adhesive, pull tissue through chimney
Embellish!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shirley, this is absolutely wonderful! What a great idea! I have to give it a try. I can never think these projects up, but I may be able to copy it! Thanks for sharing!
Becky in VA

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, how did your work escape my attention until today!?!?! You do such lovely work and are so generous with it. Thank you! I've spent the last couple of hours on your site and just got back to late last year - so much to see!

I wanted to download the sizeable lamb and the gorgeous tulip .svg file but they were both marked "private". Is there a way i can get them?

Thank you - Lynne Davies
ldavies@attglobal.net

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this Freebie. I want to let you know that I posted a link to your blog in Creative Busy Hands Cricut Freebies Search List, under the Elements post on Sep. 26, 2009. Thanks again.

kyscrapper said...

Shirley, I just found your blog & I gotta tell you I am impressed! Love your work girl. I will be keeping an eye on your blog to see what you do next! Wonderful stuff.
Thanks for all you do & for sharing it with us.
KY Scrapper

Saskia said...

Wow, this is great, thank you so much for sharing!

Saskia
Netherlands

Anonymous said...

Brings back memories. I used to crochet tissue box cozies years ago. Really like your design.
TFS

PJ (Jessie Adams)

Carole N. said...

This is just so cute, Shirley, and I love all the detail.
I don't have DS or many carts, but wanted to tell you how cute I think it is.
Big Hugs!

craftaddict said...

Thank you for sharing this lovely house box. You are so creative.
xxxeileen

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous!... and so cute :) I am wondering if you have an .svg file for this? I would LOVE to try this with my cricut and SCAL2 software. Unfortunately I don't have DS. Thanks so much!!

Happy Crafting!

Kristy / Calif.

-Candi said...

I know this was years ago but any chance you still have this file an would be willing to convert it to a .gypsy filefor me? I think it would be so cute in my daughter's room!

Thanks
candi.daitchATgmail.com