Thursday, December 11, 2008

Creating your own silhouette svg with PSE, SCAL



I've seeing all the beautiful silhouettes people are using and thought it would be fun to make some cards with my own images. I'm sending this one to my MIL . It was taken last week when my boys and my DH were decorating the tree. I used PSE6, Inkscape and then SCAL. If you'd like to do some of your own photos, here's what I did:

1. Open your photo in PSE - something with bold images will work best



2. Use the quick selection tool, lasso or pen to pick your object



3. Control+J to put the selection on its own layer


4. Set your foreground color to black and lock the transparency (or the whole thing will turn black)

5. Fill layer with black, unlock transpart pixs and fill with white


6. Save as JPG



7. Import into Inkscape and trace bitmap, do any cleaning up with nodes and save as an SVG



8. Import SVG into SCAL


Here is my second one, I think I will use it on a scrap page.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

very sweet Shriley! Nice tutorial too!

Lori aka Lo Lo said...

Hi,

Wow...I didn't know you could do that. Thx for the tutorial.

xoxo,
Lori

Anonymous said...

What a great idea...very nice! Thanks for sharing.

Judit V.

Marjorie said...

What a neat idea! I love this and maybe one day I will be able to do some things with SCAL beside use designs that wonderful ladies like you share.