Saturday, January 31, 2009

The Cricut FAUX Nesties technique



If your a card maker, you have no doubt seen and wanted the NESTIES. If you have a cricut the cutting of the nesties is not a big draw as they are just dies cut 1/4 inch apart so you can nest them. For a cricut owner that just means turning the dial to a 1/4 inch difference between cuts. The one thing the nesties can do that the cricut can not is emboss the edges. I love the clean and professional look the embossed edge has. So much that I have actually been saving to buy some. I really wanted the simple shapes (I am sick of scallops) but in my cheepness thought I'd see if I could save myself and find a way to use what I have....and I did! I used the cricut to cut pieces of chipboard to look like the nesties, then ran them through the cuttlebug just like you would anything else you wanted to emboss and it worked lovely! I used about $5 worth of chipboard, but made the 4 sets I wanted most (circles, squares, rectangle, and curly label) which would have cost me over $100. I used the OUTLINE function on GEORGE for basic shapes- but any outline shape on any cartridge will work. You do have to use heavy chipboard(the raising of the embossing will be the same as the chipboard, thin cb and you just can't see it well), or cut two of each of thin chipboard and glue them together (like two layers of cereal box board). Instead of the fancy Nesties foam I used a sheet of that kids craft foam, which I cut into 4 and stacked. WARNING, cramming too much into your cuttlebug can crack the plate, so play with the number of foam sheets. You should not have to cram it in with all your force, but if it goes through without having to turn the crank, you need more foam. I used 3 sometimes and 4 sometimes, depending on the chipboard box I had used to create the die. They go in standard order: base plate, die, paper, foam, b plate.




You do not need a ds to do this, just change the dial by 1/4 inch. BUT if you want the look alikes for the labels you need ds (it is just the curly frame smooshed, .cut below- and I've seen lots of .cut files for the others). As with the real thing, after it is embossed you can turn it over to use for chalking/sponging or masking.




I started this with basic shapes in mind, but now...well now I'm experimenting will all sorts of things. And if you don't want the sponging/masking feature I found that the solid images worked great for embossing too. I'm keeping all my inside peaces for making backgrounds like embossing folders. An important tip: when you make them, right on them what they are so you can cut the same shape later and quickly find the corresponding die. Some embossed pieces:






If you want the scallops you'll probably still need to spend the money as the swivel action of the blade on the cricut does not make perfect scallops like the dies would. And I'm sure the nesties are lovely, and work great, but now I don't feel the need to spend the money. If you want basic shapes or the lables or just cricut shapes that nest, woo hoo, a little time and some cereal boxes, you could save $$$$ too. Hopefully I can get some cards posted with the finished embossed elements up soon. I was going to do that yesterday but my son came down with the flu, so of course, cuddling took priority over crafting.

Nestingcurlyframe.cut file

Here is my first completed card with my fake square nestie:

36 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Frida said...

Great idea, thanks for sharing.

Greetings from frida/germany

Melinda Ford said...

This is so cool!!! I'm glad you're willing to share your experiments with us. Thanks!!!

Kate said...

What a wonderful idea!! I am saving your web address to re-read this later and give it a go! Thank you for sharing your idea, and writing such great instructions to go with it!

Anonymous said...

You are a genius!!!! I love this! I will link to this post after I try it myself if you don't mind.

Jen said...

I have made a few of these too and you're right! It's a great technique. $5 in chipboard is certainly cheaper than $20 in metal dies. :o)

Woohoo!!

Anonymous said...

Those are great! Any chance of getting a cut file for these, pretty please?

TLCDesign said...

What a great idea. I just purchased an embossing kit for my Cricut but it only comes with one folder and the replacement set does not have any folders in it. I have been trying to figure out what I could use instead...and would be more affordable. THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this idea. I am doing the invitations and decor for a wedding this summer and am about to get started on some of the projects. You just saved us a LOT of money.

Great blog!

Regards,
Tanya

Anonymous said...

Love this post, thank you!

Marg said...

Thanks for sharing your ideas. Love them.

Vicki said...

Sensational!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing. Great blog!

LiveLaughScrap said...

Thank You so much for this. I too have wanted to get Nesties, but $ always stands in the way. I will try this & let you know how it goes - it just may be a little while.
Lori

LiveLaughScrap said...

I posted a link to this post & your entire blog on my blog.
Lori

Stephaniescraps said...

Wow! That is so cool! Do you have to have the deep cut blade to cut the cereal boxes/chipboard?

Unknown said...

O. M. G. You get the genius award of the year!!! Excellent! And thank you so much for sharing this and everything else! I've not commented before......but I could not hold back on this one!
Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!

ps. My husband thanks you too!

Shell said...

*Great* job. Thank you so much for posting the file. Awesome option for all of us.

Kristin said...

wow, wow, and MORE wow! I just put a link on my blog to yours... this is wonderful! doing it tomorrow :-)

Norine said...

just found your blog How creative is this idea could have saved me tons of money on my nesties thanks so much
hugs
Norine

Anonymous said...

What an AWESOME idea! TFS.
I saw this a few days ago and have been to both Michaels and Hobby Lobby for a sheet of chipboard....neither of them had it. Any suggestions?? I am dying to try this! :)
Also, I tried to download the cut file and it won't let me open it in DS...I keep getting some error?!
Any help is appreciated!
Again, awesome idea and I can't wait to begin using it!

Anonymous said...

this is such a great idea. i have been wanting to do this for such a long time but couldn't figure out how to do it!!!

Smriti said...

You are indeed very creative!

Anonymous said...

This is such a wonderful idea! Thanks so much for sharing. I was wondering if there is a way I can make the curly label with Plantin instead of George? Did you design it yourself, or is that shape on the cartridge? TIA

papillon digital design said...

Wonderful idea. I am going to try this out. Also for any embossing I might try to keep the negative chipboard cut out and then pass it through the xyron sticking machine and then stick it a ordinary plastic file folder cut to size thus making my own embossing folder

ShellyWorld said...

Wow! I wish I found this site before I spent 15 bucks on Nesties this past weekend...LOL TFS

Sandy said...

Thanks! I was looking for the ideas to save money on nesties. They are so expensive. Your idea is so much helpful and easy.
I will try this for sure.

Sandy said...

Thanks! I was looking for the ideas to save money on nesties. They are so expensive. Your idea is so much helpful and easy.
I will try this for sure.

dj1952 said...

Thank you so much for this idea. I too have wanted the nesties, but just do not have the money to buy all that I want. (I also have been using my money for cricut cartridges.

TFS,

dj

dj1952 said...

Thank you so much for this idea. I too have wanted the nesties, but just do not have the money to buy all that I want. (I also have been using my money for cricut cartridges.

TFS,

dj

Smriti said...

Oh wow! That's a lovely technique!

Anonymous said...

I'm cutting up my Froot Loops box as I type. I fell in love with nestabilities, but don't have the money. I don't want to be a card maker that makes a $2.00 card for $20. This is great! Blessings on you.

Tiggerscraps said...

Thank you SO much for sharing this! I too have a hard time buying the nesties due to the cost. I've been saving all my food boxes for chipboard so I can make a ton of shapes now!! :)

Donna :) said...

Genius! Thank you...

Debbie J said...

Can I use this with my Texture Boutique machine to emboss cardstock??

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your post! I save cereal boxes in my house for making many chipboard projects, which also works for this! And they're free!! Happy creating!!

nabmcm said...

Nice , I have tons of empty boxes and lots of time. This was a great idea. Thanks