Wednesday, October 29, 2008

3D ornament card and garland

Want your Christmas cards to stand out? Why not make them 3-D? Simply cut 3 or 5 of your focal item, fold in half and glue sides together. For this card I used the ornament cut at 2 1/2 on Joys of the Season ( the bow is also from JOTS, it is from the gift/layers). Christmas trees and snowflakes also work well for this technique. Because they are folded, you can simply flatten to mail. A couple of tips : use stamps to embellish rather than layers, and stamp prior to assembly. I used Flourish stamps from Heidi Grace, and pine branches from Stampin' UP, the paper is cream with burgundy accents - not that you can see from my bad photo! Sorry, its still dark out so lighting is not so good. I used a gold leafing pen for the top and bottom of the ornament.




This is also a great way to make 3D garlands. I made this one with the leaves from Doodlecharms. If you are using an unsymmetrical image, than you must do it in even numbers (use 2 or 4 images) and simple connect to matching side - for the garland I used 2 and connected fat side of leaf on 1 to fat side of leaf on 2. If you are using 4, you can run your sting down the center and not have to punch holes to string it.
flat to 3-D

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Very pretty! I remember we used to "sew" the layers together on the sewing machine, and make christmas trees for the kids to decorate. That was just construction paper though, not card stock. That might not "sew" so well!

DonnaMundinger said...

Beautiful card and the garland is fabulous! My Dad used to make lots of 3D items using this method and I've been planning on trying it myself. Thanks for the inspirations. Love your blog.

Marjorie said...

What a wonderful way to make the 3D card! And I love the garland. My thanks to you for sharing.

Sherri said...

Love the 3d garland.......great idea.